Hark back to the decades when the Nordic Ski Club of Milwaukee often served food and beverages outdoors in the snow. On Saturday, January 9, 2021, we'll be cross-country skiing at Lapham Peak State Park (park sticker needed). Since the coronavirus prevents us from using the indoor shelter for our annual picnic, we'll be stopping for soup, hot beverages and dessert at an outdoor picnic at the Mike Fort Shelter. It's just a short ski or walk from the Homestead Hollow parking lot. The club will provide some of the food, but we ask every participant to bring a can of soup for our old-fashioned “soup dump.” We're devising ways to keep socially distanced. Just being outside will help keep us safe. Here’s how it works:
1. Bring 1 can per person of soup to the shelter at 10 a.m., before you start to ski.
Bring either a white base, a red base or a vegetarian soup--we’ll have 3 pots.
2. Bring your own mug or bowl and spoon in a bag with your name on it (so you can leave it at the shelter while you ski).
3. We’ll provide hot chocolate, coffee or tea and cups, oyster crackers and a sweet treat!
4. Go skiing or hiking, whatever the weather dictates. There will be 2.4 km of human-made snow near the Evergreen Lodge and parking lot (down the hill from Homestead Hollow).
5. Return to Mike Fort Shelter between noon and 1 p.m. to eat and visit (with masks on after eating).
6. Then go ski again if you wish! Restrooms are open off the parking lots.
7. If you wish to help or need more details, contact Renee C. at email@example.com.
8. Register for the picnic so we know how much food we'll need.
Park stickers and lessons: The NSCM board has decided not to give ski lessons this year due to the coronavirus. If you see an experienced NSCM skier on the trails, however, don’t hesitate to ask for some tips! You will need an annual 2021 state park sticker, which you should purchase online ahead of time. If you want to wait in line at the entrance booth, you can buy a daily pass for $8. A Wisconsin State Trail Pass is also required if you plan to ski. An annual pass is $25, a daily pass is $5 that cannot be purchased online. The park sticker and trail pass can also be purchased in advance by calling 1-888-305-0398 if you call a couple weeks in advance. Last Saturday the park filled up by 10 am and it was closed between 30 to 45 minutes before more people could enter the park. Since that could easily happen again, try to arrive before 10 am. If the park is closed, go into Delafield for half an hour before trying to get in again. Restrooms (but not lodges) are planned to be open. Plan for snow!
The Nordic Ski Club of Milwaukee (NSCM) continues to practice social distancing and the use of face masks, as recommended by the CDC and Wisconsin authorities. Know that your participation in any event is at your own risk. Before attending any NSCM outing or event, please check with the event leader. Use good judgment and continue to keep us all safe.
Submit Newsletter Article
© Nordic Ski Club of Milwaukee | firstname.lastname@example.org |